Friday, November 24, 2006

Review 1

Well there is a lot to be said about my trip out to Swaziland, and it will take me a while, so probably more than one post. First off i want to thank my Uncle Bruce who sent the three of us ( Robbie Barbara and I). It truly was a once in a lifetime trip for me( hopefully not though :)

Last night as I was telling a lot of my family about the trip more things hit me with a realization of how bad some things out there were, but also how amazing the work that Children's Cup was doing. On the first full day out in Swaziland there was an appreciation brunch for the cooks at the care points. I thought it seemed fitting to have a brunch for them because they cook everyday for the kids at the care points. Every day these women grab 50kg (over 100 lb) sacks of corn and sit over an out door fire and cook for over 200 kids. These women essentially are caring for 200 children each! 200 OVC children ( orphan vulnerable children) when they themselves might be barely hanging on. Every time We showed up at the care points they were glad to see us, always doing the same things: cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids. They are a huge part as to why Children's Cup works, these incredible women of God. It was an honor to be there to help thank these women for all the hard work they do for the children.

Shortly after the brunch Barbara Robbie, Pat and I left to go to the Manzini Hospital. After I read a blog from one of the Cup team members saying it was pretty much the saddest place ever I wasn't sure what to expect. As you would expect it is nothing like any American clinic or hospital you have ever seen. Immediately it feels sad, and broken. People are hurting everywhere and the condition of the hospital is so poor and and the care meager it made your heart ache. We went to the children's ward to visit a little girl named Pepe who Cup has been working with to help her ( she is 9 I think and has AIDS) On a bright note she was up and eating and moving around and apparently looked much better that week than she had a week prior. While that was a bright spot when we got into a much larger room with many kids it was so sad to see them all there with sores and bandages knowing that many of the kids there were dying of AIDS. I ended up sitting down next to a baby just a few feet in the door that was sleeping and just prayed. I didn't want to go any further into the room, it was to sad for me. Last night as I was talking to family though I remembered looking at my Aunts pictures and seeing all the kids at the hospital were smiling. I didn't remember seeing that while i was praying, but i was so happy to see it in the pictures. The kids have hope and it reminded me that they will be someplace better away from their broken and infected bodies and this broken world. At the time I was glad to leave the Hospital, but I was glad I saw it and more happy to see the pictures of kinds with hope left and some happiness in a very grim world.

Pepe




happy kids!

After a crazy first half of the day we left for our game parks and sightseeing part of the trip. Obviously that was a awesome part of the trip and I saw so much. The animals were amazing, our guides great and the food usually pretty good. It was a perfect beginning to a trip and kinda needed after a long flight and a very busy week prior to leaving with working both jobs and getting everything I needed ready to go.

That's all for now, busy life. Thanksgiving was great and it was wonderful to be back home with family and friends. I am so thankful for the opportunity to go to Swaziland and work with the Cup team out there. They are amazing and live their lives an great calling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are posting recollections from our trip - yes, it was very memorable.
Concerning the Care Point cooks, they feed 200 to 300 children everyday and they are all volunteers. They truly are a blessing to the kids and their community.