Saturday, July 14, 2007

definite ramblings.

So it's been a while since the last post and I am not sure I have even thought much of what top put in this one. I miss people from college, I miss Brandon, Jon, Dame, Danny, Pablo, Mike, Kyle, Ryan, Abigail, Webb, Holly and many more. I miss seeing Emilie's friends from school, and all of those who moved to Seattle. I miss having my brother and Em's around during the week and getting to hang out. I am amazed how easily I can live life without these people whom I did daily life with for so many years of my life. How can I continue to be part of that life while being so far separated? I know the phone works well, e-mail is ok and facebook is a like a last ditch effort but i want more. I think we need to remember to talk, write and pray more for those who are not around us. I need to be intentional in all my relationships. I think I have always taken for granted the ease of having people close to me. All my life a large portion of my family, friends and cousins were all within 15 miles of me. Now with family and friends spreading around the country I must be more active. I often believe that I can pick up a friendship right where it was left without having talked with a person for months. In some cases I think that might be true but I also think that it is a cold way to look at friends. Everyone wants to be needed, loved, cared about and asked how they are doing, and really mean it. I want to do better at this.

Lots of ramblings. Whats my excuse for my actions? I would say its because I am busy, and lazy. It takes a lot of effort to maintain a relationship. How can I approach any friendship with the expectation that it doesn't require effort? I think my actions, my schedule, my business is my choice, and until i choose something better life will continue like this. I must choose to make some things important and other things less important. This however is where our generation gets a lot of slack from older people. I think we are accurately described as an entitlement generation. Good or bad, i think its at least partly true. However I also think that older people look at our generation and see people who don't care about their jobs, or work, and prioritize things they want to do and the people they want to be around. There is a lot of good to making sure that work or your job is not an ends but a means to another end that is much more valuable than a 50 hour week and a promotion. It is here where we have decided whats important to us that I think we have excelled.



after rereading this post, i think i am a little crazy. Maybe this is just a cathartic activity of writing whats on my mind, but however it breaks down, I still want to be with family and friends more. Its sad that I have this Saturday morning unfilled because i didn't know what to do with it. It's not sad because its empty but because i felt like i needed to fill it with activity rather than enjoy time to relax.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right, Stephen. We need to be intentional in our relationships. If we want change, then we need to do something different, otherwise things stay the same.
I'm glad that we have some intentional family time coming up soon. Love ya.